Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Weekly Piano Lessons (26 hours Creative) (Term 1 and 2)

I have been learning piano for over 10 years. Over this time, I have learnt a variety of pieces of music to play and have progressed through levels / grades while doing so, acquiring new skills as i go. I started learning in ISB but my teacher, Miss Yii Ven, moved to another location and started up her business, Muzette Alley, and I have been going there ever since. She has many students in her school and from her teaching, I have found piano as a different outlet that has been and is relaxing and so enjoyable at the same time. Lately, we all have practiced for the annual concert held by Muzette Alley. In October, I took the Grade 3 Theory Exam for piano and scored a High Distinction with 97% after all of the hard work, learning and revising; and I was very impressed with myself although for the past two grades, I scored 98% and 100% respectively.

For Term 2, I have continued with my learning of Grade 4 Theory which I will be examined for in October this year, 2010. In addition, I have continued with my completion of a Grade 4 Practical Book. Even through the long book with over 20 pieces, I can see my improvement in terms of the difficulty level of these pieces and the new skills that I have had to learn in order to pass them. The most satisfaction comes from looking at the first piece that I learnt in my books and comparing it to the most difficult one, to see my improvement. I still enjoy piano as I always did, as something completely different from most other activities that I do.

In Term 3, I completed my collection of pieces and moved onto a new classical book. Classical music is very demanding for the reason that it revolves heavily around fingering techniques and the ability to play one hand separate from another. This helps to differentiate the various lines in the music (melody, accompaniment, etc). Also, classical pieces generally require a personal input into the 'feel' of the music and this can be quite hard to do while concentrating on all of the other aspects involved. Nevertheless, enjoy classical music and the challenges that it presents to me because I know that that it will improve my proficiency in playing the piano. Also, my theory exam will be on the 30th of October and I am currently studying past-papers to improve my knowledge of the format of the exam and some common questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment